Mr Larrington done have a genius in the middle of the night and, after some prodding of Teh Intarwebs, discovers that yes, it *is* possible to download the errant North America maps from Garmin and overwrite the Europe map currently installed in Emily's little head-branez. It's probably no cheaper than buying a whole new gadget but it does avoid having to find my way to Walmart and persuading them to allow me to purchase the thing, since click'n'collect in these parts requires a credit card with a USAnian billing address which in my case I have not got. Clicky, clicky, hand over money, downloading, installing... This had better work...
Power on device, poke "Favourites", tell Emily to take me to the Battle Mountain Super 8. She calculates the route. Hurrah!
So the next task for the POB's little elektronik brane is to play the tunes which I have lovingly copied to a USB stick. This is not rocket surgery. Even Transit vans can do it these days. Snag. Everything is USB-C these days and that includes the USB 'oles in the POB. Is my USB stick USB-C? Why, no! No, it is not. But I have anna dapter. Plug stick into one end and other end into car. Result? Nothing. Which meant driving the thick end of five hundred miles with no music, because USAnian radio is too ghastly to contemplate. Bah!
Little to report today. The Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex is enormous and even with the aid of freeways takes an age to escape but eventually I-20 and I found each other and east I did go. Almost, but not quite as far as Shreveport LA, because you can bypass Shreveport and get to I-49 southbound with little fuss or bother. Following I-49 to its logical conclusion would have you emerge on I-10 but Emily decided to take a shortcut across the Louisiana equivalent of The Fens, which differ from the East Anglian version in that the principle crops are (I think) sugar cane and billboards for personal injury lawyers instead of turnips.
![]() |
| This carries US-190 over the Atchafalaya River at Krotz Springs LA |
The bridge that carries I-10 over the Mighty Mississippi is better than this one but I had to go over it. At 4 mph. Happily the stau cleared for the last 50 miles to here. This evening's tasks include copying the music files onto my phone, that it can send them to the POB's stereo via the medium of the Devil's Lesser Radio [1] and, as suggested by Teh Intarwebs, reformatting the offending USB stick as NTFS instead of FAT32 and copying the music files over again. Which takes ages. Still, at least I have Tea.
- Bluetooth, obv.


On tenterhooks re: music and phone. Isn’t your phone a million years old? Does it have room for music?
ReplyDeleteDid the music hack work? Isn’t your phone a million years old? With no space for music files?
ReplyDeleteAll will be revealed in the next instalment...
Delete