Monday, 7 September 2026

Day 13: Bemidji MN -> Bismarck ND

I did warn you that the next Several of days would contain little of interest, so here goes.  Alternately south and west across western Minnesota until the woods turn to fields and the terrain flattens out, for this is the Red River "valley".  Meaning we have crossed a Continental Divide of sorts, since the Red River strolls off northwards into Canada, ultimately ending up in Lake Winnipeg and thence via the Nelson River into Hudson Bay.  This is not as dramatic as crossing the Divide between Atlantic and Pacific drainage in for e.g. the Colorado Rockies since Lake Itasca is only 450 metres above sea level.

The Red at this point also forms the state line between Minnesota and North Dakota, following which a Several of things happen:
  • I-94 comes to a juddering halt in Fargo because it's down to one lane at the junction with I-29
  • There are hills, though not very big ones
  • It starts raining
Scenic North Dakota
Thankfully the rain doesn't last long and currently it's warm and sunny in Bismarck.  Which, Constant Reader, you will recall was visited in 2023, on account of it straddling the Missouri.  Since that up there ^^^^ is the only photo I took today here by no popular demand whatsoever is a piccie from 2023:
Tomorrow's drive is a bit longer than wot I done today but I can still have a leisurely start on account of Montana being in a different time zone.  Hurrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

O hai, spammers!

All comments are moderated so don't bother.

Kthxbai!