Wednesday 4 September 2019

Day 6: Monticello UT - La Verkin UT

No internet.  Again.  FFS!  Oh, they've fixed it.  In time for me to wish Professor Larrington a very happy Significant Birthday!

So today was a Travelling Day rather than a "Going To Look At Things Day" and since I already knew the route Emily was kept on mostly 4 teh LULZ0RZ.  No, I do not wish to head forty miles in the opposite direction to Green River and do the rest of the trip on the Interstate system, no matter how much quicker it might be.  Nor am I going all the way back to Kayenta and US-89.  No, I am taking the scenic route and that is an end to it.

The main difference between northern Arizona down the road and southern Utah is that the rocks here are completely hatstand.  See?



After a cross-country blast UT-95 crosses the Mighty Colorado and what is supposed to be the upper end of Lake Powell but didn't have enough water in it to qualify for "lake" status.  Better photo of the bridge taken this year; it also attracted the attention of a couple of burly chaps in a South Carolina-based Volvo VNL - though I suspect their original homeland lies far to the east of the River Bug.  Funny how no tot-handed tangerine terrorists are calling for them to be sent "home".

BRIDGE!!1!
More insane rocks, heat and occasional showers on UT-95, UT-24 and UT-12.  and resurfacing on the former.  What a terrible place to be sitting in a queueueueueueue.



Idiots on US-89.  Look, I know it's a speed limit, not a target, but if you keep randomly varying your speed between 40 and 60 mph you achieve nothing save to confound and confusticate following motor-ists.  So stop it.

I should have listened to Emily after I got on US-89.  She advised me to go via Cedar City, but I told her "no" and went further south and through Zion National Park.  Even though I know that using National Parks as through routes is a mug's game.  And doubly so since I'm planning to go back for a proper visit tomorrow anyway.  I went there all the way back in 2003, but didn't see it properly.

And finally.  Ford Motor Company, please tell your otherwise inestimable motor-car stereo system not to overrule the tags I spent weeks getting right on my mp3 files.  That track you just played was by Hawkwind frontman Dave Brock, not jazz piano legend Dave Brubeck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

O hai, spammers!

All comments are moderated so don't bother.

Kthxbai!